Thursday, January 25, 2007

Authenticity

Today, our Chinese word is zhenzheng. It means, according to my dictionary, “genuine, true, real.” Of course, I’m having all sorts of zhenzheng experiences here, like eating zhenzheng Chinese food (no 100-item buffets in sight), riding zhenzheng buses (today, one was so crowded that I seriously wondered how long the oxygen supply would last), and even taking zhenzheng Chinese medicine for the cold I now seem to have (at first, I thought it was just the effects of the air pollution, but no, it’s really a cold). I’m a little worried because the pharmacist (or at least the lady in the white coat in the medicine place) told me to take a total of 12 pills for my first dose of the medication, which seems like a lot of pills. This is a time when linguistic understanding is very important, but the package also seems to agree with her.

However, these are not my only zhenzheng experiences. On Sunday, I had a zhenzheng yoga experience, which you think would be almost impossible in China. However, this one came complete with Real Yoga Teacher From India. I decided to try yoga here in Beijing and wanted to give the Ashtanga class at BeijingYoga a try. Well, let me just tip my metaphorical hat to any of you who seriously practice Ashtanga Yoga. I was still hurting four days after the class. I’d like to think that the class was just really hard due to its really zhenzheng nature, real Indian yogi teacher and all, but I’m not so sure. All I know was that I felt like a totally clueless, absolutely unfit blob. Actually, a blob would have had a better chance of getting into some of those postures. About every other new pose the zhenzheng yogi, whose name was actually Bharath, would offer me a new prop to help me. Here, try this strap! Here, put this towel under your butt—now put this towel under the other side!

I may go back to BeijingYoga again—this was the “Basic Ashtanga” class, and there is actually a “Beginner Ashtanga” class that I may have to venture into instead. However, next I’m off to Yoga Yard to try vinyasa yoga—probably less zhenzheng, since most of the teachers seem to be Chinese or American, but perhaps I’m also just not cut out for certain forms of zhenzheng-ness.

4 comments:

Mason Road Fitch's said...

I'm proud of you. At least you tried something completely new and different! Way to go! - Jean

Mason Road Fitch's said...

Awesome blog, Sharon! You sound wonderful, although you may not feel that way. :-)
Technology is such a wonderful thing. To be able to read all this is just super. I can only compare it to listening to the old radio shows and visualizing everyting in your head.
Soon we will be off to Dawn's dance/cheer competition (for all of Monroe County) - will let you know how it goes.
Keep blogging!
We love you and wish you much success in China.
Thoughts and prayers with you,
Connie, John, Dawn, Morgan and Robin

Mason Road Fitch's said...

Sharon-

This blog is a trip! I'm fascinated by your adventures. Please get better and be very careful about not catching things. I know it's almost impossible to do with so many people in such close proximity. The King Gym sounds cool, even with the guy lighting up a cigarette after the work out. what a trip! Thanks for your condolences regarding my Grandma. I'm glad your Grandma is moving to be near your parents. Sorry about her husband Bernie. Take good care of yourself!

Jeanine

Mason Road Fitch's said...

Sharon-

I love this blog! Your adventures are so interesting. Please stay well! Thanks for the condolences.

Love-

Jeanine